• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 16 years, 8 months ago by jmfletch.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

  • Author

    Posts

  • April 7, 2005 at 4:32 am #984936

    Hi there. Can anybody tell me whether Graphite will fade in direct sunlight? I have been commissioned to do a very large picture that will be displayed in a conservatory, therefore lots of sunlight. The original intent was to do it in CP but after talking to the CP forum they said it won't last very long. After passing this message on to my client, graphite came up as a possible alternative suggestion. I've heard somewhere before that graphite doesn't fade and I was wondering if you could confirm this for me. More precisely, will it fade displayed in so much sunlight? And if so, how long would I expect it to last before it is noticily lost?

    Thanks for your help

    ~Claire :)

    April 7, 2005 at 6:08 am #1049369

    Sunlight will eventually destroy anything given enough time, but I imagine it's more likely that paper will yellow before the graphite fades; it's quite a hardy medium. Hopefully an expert will be able to give you a more definitive answer (I wonder if Dcorc is reading this, he knows everything about everything!) :)

    April 7, 2005 at 7:11 am #1049376

    Sunlight will eventually destroy anything given enough time, but I imagine it's more likely that paper will yellow before the graphite fades; it's quite a hardy medium. Hopefully an expert will be able to give you a more definitive answer (I wonder if Dcorc is reading this, he knows everything about everything!) :)

    I simply ditto 'everything' Z just said!!! :wink2: (with respect!)

    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jerry
    "A man's got to know his limitations." ('Dirty Harry Callahan')
    "...but NOT create them!" (Jerry Fuller, aka 'Ikneadaneraser')

    April 7, 2005 at 7:41 am #1049375

    I know that when graphite powder is used as a pigment in paint it has the highest ASTM lightfastness rating, so I would imagine that the same is true for graphite pencils.

    D a v e

    April 7, 2005 at 8:15 am #1049370

    Thank you everybody. I think you've just convinced me to use graphite now!

    ~Claire :)

    April 7, 2005 at 10:17 am #1049373

    If, by conservatory, you mean some sort of greenhouse, you may want to take into account the humidity as well. Lightweight paper may warp when constantly exposed to humid conditions.

    Good luck in your commission, Claire! :) I hope you can share the final result with us!

    BTW, how large is the picture going to be?

    Michelle

    April 7, 2005 at 10:32 am #1049371

    Thanks Michelle, I'll take the humidity into consideration when choosing my paper. Any suggestions? Of course I'll show the finished piece – it's going to be approx 3ft x 2ft. Its a detailed one so may take me a good while and is of the New York City Skyline at dusk with lots of little lights on in the skyscrapers and reflections on the water under Brooklyn Bridge. I'm so excited for starting it.

    ~Claire :)

    April 7, 2005 at 2:20 pm #1049372

    It's the lignon in papers that make it yellow in time. What are called "acid free" papers still contain some lignon. They are simply buffered often times with a calcium carbonate which postpones the lignon damage. For a truly lignon free paper, you must get 100% rag content.

    Graphite should not fade. It is a mineral.

    To prevent the yellowing of the regular papers, use a conservation glass with UV protectants and make sure your mats are also acid free. But to be really safe, use rag papers and rag mats with the conservation glass.
    Carol

    April 7, 2005 at 6:34 pm #1049378

    Hi Claire :wave: congratulations on getting the commision!! Can't wait to see it…sounds really exciting. :clap: :clap: I think it will have more impact done in graphite.Keep us posted!!

    Claire

    April 7, 2005 at 7:29 pm #1049377

    Expect acid free wood pulp based papers to last 200-300 years with proper conservation (UV protective glass, proper archival materials for mounting).

    With 100% rag it could go 500 years or more (again, depending on proper conservation).

    Who is John Galt?

    April 8, 2005 at 9:48 am #1049374

    Claire, wow, 3'x2′! That's quite large! How long does it normally take you to complete a project of that size?

    Unfortunately, I'm not all that well-versed on the different types of paper out there to be able to recommend one type over another. Perhaps one of the other folks here can suggest a good paper that can withstand humid conditions better?

    Michelle

  • Author

    Posts

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

  • The topic 'Does graphite fade?' is closed to new replies.