15 unforgettable quotes virtually life from Carrie Fisher

Carrie Fisher wookie

Carrie Fisher onstage at the 1997 MTV movie awards while Chewbacca gives his acceptance speech in his ain language.
REUTERS/Stringer

At that place will be many things to miss virtually Carrie Fisher, who died last December at the age of 60. She was a talented novelist, memoirist, screenwriter, and actor who brought happiness to millions of people. One of the things she'll be most remembered for is her incredible wit.

1 of the greatest pleasures of the return of "Star Wars" with "The Forcefulness Awakens" in 2015 was having Carrie Fisher hit the interview excursion. She could parry with Colbert and knew how to shut downwardly an interview with the perfect quote. She had a highly individualistic, impish worldview, as she showed on her Twitter account. And in her iii memoirs and hundreds of interviews, she was an advocate for people with mental illnesses. Her insight and wit made her work as a script physician in high demand. She was a national treasure.

Here are xv of Fisher'due south near bitter, sarcastic, funny, and just evidently powerful quotes from her writings and from her interviews.

"I'll go hang out with a bunch of robots for a few months and and so return to my life and try to figure out what I want to do when I grow upward."

Carrie Fisher poses for photographers upon arrival at the European premiere of the picture 'Star Wars: The Forcefulness Awakens ' in London, Wednesday, Dec. 16, 2015.
Photograph by Jonathan Brusque/Invision/AP

In her memoir "Shockaholic," Fisher talked about how she didn't expect "Star Wars" to exist the global phenomenon it was when she signed on for the function of Princess Leia. She was 19 years old at the fourth dimension.

"I am truly a product of Hollywood in-breeding. When two celebrities mate, someone like me is the consequence."

Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds appear before the camera in their real roles of happy parents as they and their young girl, Carrie Frances Fisher, pose for their first family group moving-picture show, in Hollywood, Jan. 2, 1957. Carrie Frances was born Oct.21, 1956. The young stars, appropriately, are actualization in a film titled "Bundle of Joy."
AP Photo

Fisher grew up privileged, as she happily noted in her memoir "Wishful Drinking." Her parents were actors Eddie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds.

"I am Princess Leia, no matter what. If I were trying to get a expert table, I wouldn't say I wrote 'Postcards.' Or, if I'm trying to get someone to take my cheque and I don't have ID, I wouldn't say, 'Take you seen 'Harry Met Sally'?' Princess Leia volition be on my tombstone."

Carrie Fisher onstage at the 1997 MTV movie awards while Chewbacca gives his credence speech in his ain language.
REUTERS/Stringer

Fisher'southward career spans dozens of movies, only Princess Leia Organa in the "Star Wars" movie franchise is by far the one she's all-time known by. Instead of trying to escape her greatest success, Fisher was happy to embrace it.

Source: Us Weekly

"It was Han and Leia during the week, and Carrie and Harrison during the weekend."

FILE - In this July 10, 2015, file photo, Carrie Fisher, left, and Harrison Ford osculation at the Lucasfilm'due south "Star Wars: The Strength Awakens" panel on day ii of Comic-Con International in San Diego, Calif. Fisher revealed in an interview with People mag published online on Nov. 15, 2016, that she had an matter with Ford during the filming of the 1977 film, "Star Wars."
Photo by Richard Shotwell/Invision/AP

While filming the original "Star Wars" moving picture in 1976, Fisher said she had a 3-month thing with Harrison Ford, who played Han Solo in the flick. She revealed information technology 40 years later, in her memoir "The Princess Diarist."

"Tell them that a giant slug captured me and forced me to habiliment that stupid outfit, and and so I killed him because I didn't like it. And then I took it off. Backstage."

Lucasfilm/Disney

Fisher had a complicated relationship with her famous gilt bikini from "The Render of the Jedi." But by 2015, she had softened to it.

When parents said they didn't know how to explain toys that depicted her in the costume to their kids, she had the perfect response.

"The only reason to become into acting is if you can impale a behemothic monster."

Actress Carrie Fisher attends a special screening of, "Vivid Lights: Starring Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds", at Alice Tully Hall on Monday, Oct. 10, 2016, in New York. Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP
Photo by Andy Kropa/Invision/AP

Fisher relished the scene where Leia killed Jabba the Hutt, who fabricated her wear the bikini in the first place.

"I had a lot of fun killing Jabba the Hutt. They asked me on the mean solar day if I wanted to have a stunt double kill Jabba. No! That's the best time I e'er had as an actor," Fisher told The Guardian."

"The actor who played Boba Fett stood behind me while I was wearing the bikini, and he could see all the way to Florida."

FILE - In this Nov. 13, 1978 file photo, Harrison Ford talks with Carrie Fisher during a interruption in the filming of the CBS-TV special "The Star Wars Holiday" in Los Angeles. On Tuesday, Dec. 27, 2016, a publicist says Fisher has died at the age of 60.
AP Photo/George Brich

She also had a sense of sense of humor about it. In an essay for Newsweek, Fisher wrote that the bikini is "what supermodels will somewhen wear in the 7th ring of hell."

"If there's a choice between companionship and anything else — especially career — choose companionship. It'due south the only thing that has the potential to concluding. Choose career and you'll spend unreasonable amounts of time attempting to look younger than you are and feeling you aren't succeeding."

Carrie Fisher, 16-year-old daughter of Debbie Reynolds and Eddie Fisher, says it's a hassle to be judged as the daughter of celebrities. Merely being Debbie Reynolds' girl admittedly has helped her get her present task in the chorus of "Irene," in which her mother stars on Broadway. She is pictured in the back garden of the house on the East Side of New York where she lives with her female parent, May 2, 1973.
AP Photo/Jerry Mosey

Fisher wrote that every bit function of a alphabetic character to her younger self, commissioned for Oprah magazine.

"They want to hire nigh three-fourths. And then I accept to get rid of the fourth somehow. The fourth tin't be with me. I made a joke. The fourth tin can't be with me!"

Getty Images

Fisher wasn't shy about talking about her body and about sexist standards in the entertainment industry. In an interview with Stephen Colbert, she talked well-nigh how she slimmed downwardly to play Princess Leia because the producers thought she weighed too much.

"They want to hire a part of me, not all of me," she said.

"We treat beauty like an accomplishment, and that is insane. Anybody in L.A. says, 'Oh you look proficient,' and y'all heed for them to say you lot've lost weight. It's never 'How are yous?' or 'You seem happy!'"

Actress Carrie Fisher talks about her own mental health trouble during a rally for mental wellness legislation in Indianapolis on Monday, February. 26, 2001, at the atrium of the Capitol. About 1000 people attended the rally to hear Fisher and four Indiana legislators speak to the crowd.
AP Photo/Seth Rossman

She was also someone who had her priorities straight, equally she told Good Housekeeping.

"I oasis't always changed who I am. I've just gotten more accepting of it. Being happy isn't getting what you want, it'southward wanting what y'all accept."

Actress and author Carrie Fisher is seen in Beverly Hills, Calif., Sept. 14, 1990.
AP Photo/Julie Markes

Fisher told Newsweek in 2008 that she hasn't changed much. She saw her life every bit a journey of self-discovery, instead.

"Even when he'due south insulting me, I like information technology very much. If you're gonna be insulted, that's the style to go."

Extra Carrie Fisher and vocalizer Paul Simon are shown during their wedding reception at their Fundamental Park West apartment in New York Metropolis, Aug. 16, 1983.
AP Photo/Mario Suriani

Fisher was married to vocalist-songwriter Paul Simon betwixt 1983 and 1984. Simon wrote the song "Hearts and Basic" about their relationship. Fisher told Rolling Stone that she nonetheless likes his music.

"I practice similar the songs he wrote almost our human relationship," she said. "'Graceland' has part of us in it."

"I do believe you lot're only equally sick every bit your secrets. If that'due south true, I'thousand only really healthy."

Carrie Fisher during Wizard World Chicago Comic-Con at the Donald Eastward. Stephens Convention Heart on Sunday, Aug. 21, 2016, in Chicago.
Photograph by Barry Brecheisen/Invision/AP

Fisher wasn't shy about talking nigh her personal life. She wrote nearly drug addition and her struggles with mental disease — all with the aim of helping her understand herself, and help out other people in similar situations, she told The Star.

"I've been in that location for a couple of people when they were dying; it didn't wait like fun. Just if I was gonna do it, I'd desire someone similar me effectually. And I volition exist there!"

Disney/Lucasfilm

Fisher also told Rolling Stone that she thought dying looked painful, merely she wasn't agape of expiry.

"I want it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled past my own bra."

Director and writer of "Star Wars" George Lucas (C) poses with bandage members Carrie Fisher and Marking Hamill forth with characters "Darth Vader" (L) "3CPO" (in gold) "R2D2" (short robot) and "Chewbacca" (background) during the premiere of "Star Wars Special Edition" in Los Angeles January 18, 1997.
REUTERS/Fred Prouser

Fisher had one request for her obituary, which she talks about in her volume "Wishful Drinking." She recounted a story about how George Lucas told her she shouldn't wearable underwear.

"George comes up to me the first 24-hour interval of filming and he takes one look at the dress and says, 'You can't wear a bra under that dress.'

So, I say, 'OK, I'll bite. Why?'

And he says, 'Because. . . at that place's no underwear in space.'

What happens is you go to space and you lot become weightless. So far so expert, right? But then your body expands??? Just your bra doesn't—so you get strangled by your own bra.

Now I think that this would brand for a fantastic obit—so I tell my younger friends that no matter how I go, I desire it reported that I drowned in moonlight, strangled past my ain bra."

Deal icon An icon in the shape of a lightning bolt.

Proceed reading